Thursday, November 20, 2014

oh, sweet pretender.

oh, sweet pretender!
your lips are so soft
and the sound of your voice
reminds me that i'm better off
chasing quietly after you
so no one notices when i'm gone.

how long will this go on?
will your work ever be done?
will i ever feel like i belong?
i cling to you when disaster comes,
forgetting to seek the face of my God
as if i didn't even need him.
well.
now i know i need him.
i curse him, spit in his face
day after day
asking him where he was when i need him most.

but instead of searching,
i turn back to you
you give me just what i'm looking for.
you make me swell with pride,
and make me satisfied
in the things i always thought were lies

later, i hear a whisper in my ear.
it tells me to turn around, so i do
i leave everything behind
i head to the west,
leaving you, sweet pretender
and all of the empty promises
that you convinced me were the best.

i found the best,
but the best thing about the best
is that it's only the beginning

No comments:

Post a Comment