Tuesday, July 28, 2015

Hoping for Something to Hope For

            “I have told you these things, so that in me you might have peace. In this world you will have trouble. But take heart! I have overcome the world.”
-John 16:33

            “I consider that our present sufferings are not worth comparing with the glory that will be revealed in us.”
- Romans 8:18
           
            “The Lord is close to the brokenhearted and saves those who are crushed in spirit.”
- Psalm 34:18
           
            “Consider it pure joy, my brothers, whenever you face trials of many kinds, because you know that the testing of your faith develops perseverance.”
- James 1:2

            If people were not meant to experience suffering, Scripture wouldn’t have as much to say about it as it does. When faced with a difficult experience, many people’s default question is “Why?”

Why did he have to die?
Why did she walk out on us?
Why can’t he just stop?
Why wasn’t I enough?
Why didn’t I say something when I had the chance?

            Suffering is a difficult topic to explore, because everybody feels it differently, and everybody reacts to it differently. The only piece of advice that I’ve been given that is universal in any kind of suffering is this:

Don’t go through it alone.

            I need you to remind me that I’m not the only one in the world experiencing pain. I need you to be real with me, to tell me what’s going through your head and your heart so we can help each other out in the mere understanding that we are not alone when we think life sucks.
            I’ve always thought it was cliché when I would hear phrases like “Love alone is worth the fight,” because I never really understood what it meant. I think that when we really learn to love each other, to put other people above ourselves, and to live in community with one another, we’ll get one step closer to understanding why seasons of life can be so difficult.

“If you have a problem, and I love you, then that’s my problem. If you have a joy, and I love you, that’s going to bring me joy.”
-Aaron Weiss

            That is not meant to be an easy solution to pain, or even a solution at all. Maybe it’s just the way I’ve learned to make sense of everything. When I’m not in a very good spot emotionally or spiritually and I share it with my older brother, he always says, “Go help someone.” Sometimes that’s the last thing I want to hear. Other times, it’s the only thing that brings me back to the reality that we’re all lost and broken people seeking some sort of peace.

            We need each other to remind each other that we will never walk alone.
            We need each other to remind each other that our stories matter.
            We need each other to remind each other that we are loved
            Cherished
            Valued
            Significant.

            In the mean time, I am encouraged because of the hope that there is for a world with no more pain and no more suffering, and I cannot wait for the day that we all come together as one to celebrate it.

            “He will wipe every tear from their eyes. There will be no more death or mourning or crying or pain, for the old order of things has passed away.”

-Revelation 21:4

No comments:

Post a Comment